Friday, May 20, 2005

Death and Comics

I have been saddened to learn of late that my mentor in the comic book biz ended up kicked out of the comic book business completely, and is now mooching off long lost relatives in Mormonville. It's sad, because he's brilliant and rebellious and kind. I just wish I could tell him (as if he would listen to me) to quit being hard on himself.

The American comic book business has long been dying--the Japanese do it better, the movies do it better, tv does it better. Ask any editor, and they will tell you the same thing. And look who is successful in the industry. I don't want to name names, but all of the survivors keep their poison-fang filled heads down and start printing the same cycle of shit every four years. The innovators all work the graveyard shifts at video stores, and suffer, suffer, suffer.

Mr. Lizard, be happy with what you had, get someone to doctor you an IT resume, and come back to the east coast. Please.

OK, correction: very, very few people would call Mr. Lizard kind. But never a backstabber, and he was more often kind to me than not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links
Archives